Thursday, 1 December 2011

Murray heads United out of the Carling Cup

An extra-time header from Glenn Murray saw Crystal Palace overcome Manchester United 2-1, as the London club progressed through to the Carling Cup semi-finals.
Darren Ambrose had opened the scoring with an incredible long-range effort after 65 minutes; only for Federico Macheda to level from the spot almost immediately. However the expected United winner never materialised and Murray headed home in the first half of extra-time to stun Old Trafford.
An under strength United side were knocked out of the Carling Cup at the quarter final stage in embarrassing circumstances for the second successive season, after their 4-0 defeat at West Ham last year.
A poor first half saw neither side threaten a break through, with the best chance falling the way of Dimitar Berbatov who blew his opportunity, before being withdrawn at half-time with an apparent injury.
Palace had more threat about them in the second half, and as United failed to take control of the game; however Antonio Valencia should’ve opened the scoring, but he placed narrowly wide when one-on-one with the keeper.
Twenty minutes into the second half Palace deservedly opened the scoring through an Ambrose screamer. After receiving the ball from the talented Wilfred Zaha, the former Ipswich man turned and from 30 yards out smashed the ball home into the top right hand corner, giving Ben Amos no chance in the United goal.
Four minutes later Manchester United levelled from the spot. Macheda was tugged in the box by Palace captain Patrick McCarthy and Macheda stepped up to take his own penalty, and beat Lewis Price with ease.
Palace nearly won it in the final moments of the 90 minutes; however Murray could only find the side netting when well placed.
Incredibly his miss wasn’t important as the former Brighton man stunned the Old Trafford faithful with a headed winner. An Ambrose free-kick was perfect for Murray, who lost his marker, to beat Amos to seal an unlikely and incredible victory. Replays suggested the Palace striker was marginally offside; however it wasn’t given and Palace held on to book a semi-final birth with fellow Championship side Cardiff City.

No comments:

Post a Comment